11:00 am – 2:00 pm as weather conditions permit
What can we learn about the Sun–our closest star?
With special filtered telescopes you can observe the sun safely without hurting your eyes. There’s more to the sun than just a yellow ball. See for yourself what the sun’s surface looks like–93 million miles away.
10:00am – 1:00pm
Trail Watch Volunteers are the foundation of the volunteer program – essentially, all volunteers are trained to be Trail Watch. Trail Watch is ideal for those volunteers who enjoy using the trails. Often referred to as Open Space “eyes and ears”, these volunteers patrol areas of their choice and record observations, report problems and needs, and educate the public on proper resource use.
Please bring a pen and driver’s license or legal identification. All volunteers must submit to a background check.
Call (505)897-8831 to register or for more information.
11:00pm – 3:00pm
The art of pinch pots is deeply rooted in the Southwest. Michael Kanteena will teach you how to make these ancient vessels and then fire them for you. An award-winning potter from Laguna Pueblo, in the Maxwell Museum, the Wheelwright Museum, galleries and markets, Kanteena is also a skilled artist and teacher. All workshop materials will be provided.
$30 Fee. Space is limited to 20 people, 7 years old and up.
Registration is required. Call (505) 897-8831.
10:00 am – 4:00 pm
Schedule of Events
- 10:30am-11:30am: Selecting Fruit Trees for ABQ, Joran Viers
- 11:00am – 12:00pm: Happy Gland Band – Sage Harrington
- 12:00pm – 12:30pm: Pink Elephant Theater
- 12:30pm – 1:00pm: Juggler, Andy Young
- 1:00pm – 2:00pm: Mezcla Latina
- 1:30pm – 2:00pm: Raptors in Farms and Urban Areas
- 2:00pm – 2:30pm: Tin Punch Workshop (Jodi & Kent)
- 2:00pm – 2:30pm: Juggler, Andy Young
- 3:00 pm – 4:00 pm: Last Call – Michael Druxman
- 3:00pm – 4:00pm: Beekeeping Basics, Brett Rimer
- Alpaca felting, ABQ Alpaca
- Harvest Games
- Sack Race
- Seed spitting
- 3-legged race
- Farm Carnival
3:00pm – 5:00pm
In celebration of New Mexico’s unique landscapes and in recognition of National Public Lands Day, taking place September 27th, and the 50th anniversary of the Wilderness Act, Plein Air Painters of New Mexico (PAPNM) is curating a special plein-air exhibit featuring New Mexico public lands.
The show will be on display in the gallery September 6 through October 26, 2014.