with Bernalillo County Master Composter John Zarola
Learn how to create a basic backyard composting system that allows you to access the resources in everyday materials that are normally flushed down the drain or thrown in the landfill. Anyone can compost and John will present a style and method that you can adopt as your own. FREE but please pre-register due to the very high demand for this course. (505) 897-8831.
Traditions Garden Lecture Series
Walk, bike or carpool: Come out and meet Open Space representatives, neighbors and fellow trail users. Have some fun and show your support for the Sandia Foothills!
What to Bring: Please bring gloves, a picnic lunch, a water bottle, sturdy outdoor shoes, and sun protection.
Saturdays: at these Foothills parking areas, 9:00am-1:00pm. Arrive early to register and enjoy donated snacks!
April 5: Copper trailhead. East of Tramway on Copper Ave.
April 12: Indian School trailhead. East of Tramway on Indian School Road.
April 19: Menaul trailhead. East of Tramway on Menaul Blvd.
April 26: Piedra Lisa Open Space. East of Tramway on Candelaria Road and south on Camino de la Sierra.
Individuals just need to arrive the day of the event. No registration necessary.
10am – 4pm
We are reinventing the cycle in recycle! Our partners in this venture are UPCYCLE ARTISTS. Browse the booths of artists who take items and transform them into objects of aesthetic and practical value. As the cycle of nature unfolding on our public lands inspires us, so does our evolving effort to increase the efficient use of our resources. You will also enjoy:
- EVERYTHING CYCLES game for chance to win raffle tickets!
- Irrational Pi pizza Food Truck
- Carnival Games for the whole family: Recycle Ring Toss, (waste) basket toss, Bob for “Worms”!
- Slam Poets on TRASH
- How Nature Recycles – The Art and Science of Composting
- Art Workshops with Art Street
- Kids’s Activities
- Silent Auction, Raffle, Educational Games,
- Presentations on reimagining the next thirty years.
- Film showing “Trashed”
- Food Forest Gardening – More Food, Less Water, More Possibilities!
- Music with Last Call, Juniper Hill and others
- Magic Show for Kids
- Dusty the Roadrunner from Keep New Mexico Beautiful
- Upcycle Arts & Crafts for Adults
- Grand Opening of “The Open Space Gift Shop”
- The art gallery show “Revived” featuring upcycle art closing reception
10am – 4pm
The Open Space Alliance is pleased to announce the Grand Opening of the Open Space Gift Shop. Please visit the shop on April 26/27, 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. It is located in the peaceful Open Space Visitor Center, 6500 Coors NW (access by Bosque Meadows Rd. between Montano and Paseo del Norte) on the east side of Coors.
The Open Space Gift Shop promises to offer gifts beyond the ordinary and tied to our devotion to open space and the natural world. Guidebooks, animal puppets, hats and supplies for the trail, the work of local artists as well as Open Space Farms Honey and Compost are among the starting inventory.
Proceeds from the Gift Shop will go to support the Albuquerque Open Space Division.
April 13 Intro ($25)
April 20 Foundations ($25)
May 4 Design, Part One ($50)
May 18 Design Part Two ($50)
Registration Required at (505) 897-8831